The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hillforts & Barrows
213 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Mustard wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

A bit of advice about this place if I might: its predominantly about ideas and opinions and theories all of which come from lots of external sources or evidence and which can be backed up or refuted by other external sources or evidence. I dont think saying stuff that just comes from "within" you will convince anyone no (or even interest them no matter how much you tell people about yourself. I might be wrong but unless there's a flurry of people saying so Im probably not.

I don't believe in past lives or ley lines or anything else of that nature, but if other people want to post about such things, then I simply don't reply, and leave such discussions to people who do believe in such things. Why wind people up unnecessarily?

" I had a feeling of well being as soon as I entered the circle and was enveloped in the warm glow of the ancestors welcome " .What is there to say ? It's not debateable ,but if a comment is made , whether from a book , a message from the past ,or a gut feeling , if it is demonstrably wrong then it should be pointed out , whether it hurts feelings or not . Surely the point when considering the mysteries of prehistory is to start off with the right info , if you base your thinking on mistakes the results are unlikely to be helpful . Is pointing out mistakes ,the same as winding up ?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it doesn't mean it is right .

I agree with this, now put it into practice and i will to, i bet you can't!!! but please don't say something is wrong unless you can prove it, which you seemed to think you was already doing, and wasn't, you never ever totally proved anything i said was totally wrong, thats why i stick with everything i said.

There are so many things that you did say that were demonstrably wrong , not feelings , stuff stated as fact . Off the top of my head . The Balfarg sherd refutation of henbane (not muchies ) presence.That wasn't a belief you got that from a book or written source . "Stone circles have nothing left in them " everyone who posts here could have pointed out the fallacy there , but it took post after post and much abuse and still you refused to accept that it was wrong despite obvious refuations ., this may have come from a book ."thats why archeologists don't like them" a silly thing to say but regardless refuted including recent example if any were necessary . " and when they do find stuff it's from a different age " also refuted and maybe from a book . Lodge Park "barrow "is medieval or later , refusal to accept the latest thinking on this , reason for belief in the first place maybe a book . "Avebury left behind in the BA " , clearly wrong considering the amount of monument building that went on , error sourced from a book ? There are plenty more but that's what comes to mind at the minute . I don't care what you dream but if you state stuff as fact and it is can be shown to be wrong I will point that out , if you think that is bullying then you don't understand the dynamics of everyday discussion .

Everything you've said above could be wrong and you can't even see it, at least i know i could be wrong [ humble ], you think these are facts, they are only facts until the next book tells you they aren't! i'm not getting into this again, i really really tried for the other people on here, but whats the point?

That's not the way science works and it was pointed out to many posts ago . It is only the current best model , the old one is outmoded and wrong ,in the future we will ahve a better one than the current one .Hoever some things will always be wrong e.g. ""Stone circles have nothing left in them " may have been correct before any stone circle was excavated but as soon as one was and it had finds it was refuted , for ever , it can never be right even in the most relativistic philosophies .

True stone circles have nothing in them at the time they were built, everything in them comes from before they were built or after they were built, i've said it again because it's true, you can think what you want and so will i.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
21st September 2012ce
15:45

In reply to:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: