The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hillforts & Barrows
213 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Resonox wrote:
Just as an aside to the conversation...I was up Chanctonbury Ring today...there are several tumuli/barrow mounds around the outer limits of the "fort" boundary. ..All of an almost identical diameter...though they vary in height due to ploughing out etc. Considering how many people must have inhabited the fort during its life, why such a relatively few number of mounds....were only "important" people interred so close to the area...and if so, where did the others get buried (I am making a great assumption that these are actual graves I know).

Strangely enough..just by the triangulation stone there is a cleared area...right sized for a tumulus.......it looks like some aftermath of excavation work....this would be the highest point on the hill too. I used to have a link which transferred present day maps into "ancient" maps...and showed intersting sites etc...but have since lost this.

It may be that the majority were cremated Resonox and scattered.

Chanctonbury was around 6th century BC.
Cremation in that area of the country wasn't practised until much later.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
16th September 2012ce
15:55

In reply to:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: