The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hillforts & Barrows
213 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
juamei wrote:
I've always assumed its a case of barrows are built on a lot of hills, some of which were later use for hillforts. Builders of hillforts respected the burial mounds of their ancestors so built around them and left them in situ. Which is kinda boring, but seems the most likely to me.

I'd be inclined to agree, from what I've seen. There are several forts that I've visited that have barrows inside the ramparts, eg Farmington in Glos (very reduced long barrow), Foel Fenlli and Penycloddiau (Clwydian Hills) and most recently Sully Island (near Cardiff). All of these are typical sites for IA defensive/status enclosures, I reckon they just respected the barrows and didn't want to damage them, but still wanted to use the site.

Curious though, if you consider the esteem (fear?) with which they regarded them, if you accept they may have used them around a site as 'deterrent' to others.

This is why I think Tiompans suggestion of refuge or storage would be more likely than them living 'full time' with such a 'powerful' monument in the same space.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
16th September 2012ce
15:07

In reply to:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (thesweetcheat)

2 replies:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (thesweetcheat)
Re: Hillforts & Barrows (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: