The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view (Looking Deeper)
66 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
No matter which way you look at it, the building of Silbury Hill was one hell of an undertaking wasn't it. It may or may not have had a blueprint but it still had to be initially planned in some form; the workforce arranged; the feeding of the workers dealt with; accommodation provided and most of all, a reason for doing it! I wonder if it all went smoothly or was there often discontent amongst the workers. Was there a single person in charge or was it an area community project? In an age where by all accounts you only lived until your mid 30's many must have died whilst working on it surely. When you think of those turves that were placed on the early build. They were actually handled by a living person some 4,500 years ago and placed into position. Were they willing workers, were they 'paid' or provided with food and shelter for themselves and family. We tend to forget about all those things when we discuss whether it is right or wrong to walk up the hill that they built for themselves (not us) for what must have been a really special reason at that time, but we now tear apart from the inside out because we can't leave things lie and must have an answer to everything! The answer will NEVER be found by digging into the hill alone, we must look at a much larger picture to understand how they lived, loved, believed and died. That's why when I climbed the hill I realised that it is only one part of a huge jigsaw that has to be assembled correctly to understand it all. Many people have had a shot of solving that puzzle and we now wait for others to have theirs and one day, God willing, it will all fall into place and the real truth revealed. Will it change anything? No it won't, as that was then and this is now!

Well said.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
11th September 2012ce
01:29

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (Looking Deeper) (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: