The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Sorry to disagree LS but if I lived at Avebury I'd walk up Silbury every day if allowed because it is a 'living' link spiritually with the past for me.

It's not allowed ... end of.

Only 'end of' when EVERYBODY is excluded June.

If you are referring to the Druid that goes up there a few times a year, I don't think he should be given access. Why should 'spirituality' or 'pursuit of religious beliefs' be part of the equation. If that's the yardstick then why not stick a cross on top every Easter? There would be an outrage if such a thing happened today but 50 years ago it may have been acceptable.

Silbury is sacred it is because it is ancient and enigmatic - we don't need to crawl all over it to demonstrate respect and at the end of the day we are each responsible for our own actions.

I wasn't thinking of the Druid June more film crews and the like. As I said in an earlier post, you can't have one rule for Joe Public and another for commercial enterprise because it becomes a nonsense otherwise. The only exception I can see should be for scientific research and for monitoring the stability of the monument due to you know who. If you are to ban JP from damaging the hill by walking up it then that should be extended to the WKLB and everything else within the WHS that is being damaged by feet such as the Great Circle bank.
If it is illegal to climb the hill then it should be clearly stated on the signs at the base of the hill because any legal beagle would tear the wording as it is as present apart because it is only advisory as it stands.

Certainly don't want to see access to the rest of the Avebury WHS restricted. Erosion caused by footfall is an ongoing problem and from time to time access to certain parts of the Henge are restricted while repairs (chalk infill) are carried out. Read somewhere that serious conservation repairs are due for WKLB - when that is completed I don't think its unreasonable to request people not to walk on top of it. Don't think your argument if the rest of Avebury is open access then Silbury should be too stands up at all.

I do agree with this though ...
"The only exception I can see should be for scientific research and for monitoring the stability of the monument"

We'll have to agree to differ on this one.

Yes I spoke to an EH structural engineer and he said they are going to remove the rooflight and reinstate the capstone(s) and also install solar lighting. I didn't suggest that if the rest of Avebury was open access then Silbury should be as well June, just that areas that are being damaged by feet within the WHS should be restricted like Silbury is so I don't think we have that much to agree to disagree on :-)

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th September 2012ce
21:51

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (tjj)

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: