The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
It’s impossible to put ourselves into the minds of those who built the last phase of Silbury but I can’t believe that they wouldn’t have used the flat top for something (hence I’ve always thought it was flat). Dunno though. It is a very beautiful thing when seen from a distance – almost the further you go the better – and I don’t think that was unintentional.

I’d still say to anyone who hasn’t climbed Silbury – don’t do it. Not on this thread because of conservation concerns but because you will have ‘conquered’ it, and you’ll never feel the same way about it again.

Sorry to disagree LS but if I lived at Avebury I'd walk up Silbury every day if allowed because it is a 'living' link spiritually with the past for me. The thrill of walking up something that 100's, maybe 1000's of our great ancestors sweated over for some years would be very uplifting to me and I make no apology for it. Many, many people who visit Avebury 'hug' a stone in a form of reverence/respect/appreciation of our great ancestors, I would hug the hill if my arms were long enough!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th September 2012ce
18:04

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (Littlestone)

2 replies:

Re: Room for a view (rockhopper)
Re: Room for a view (tjj)

Messages in this topic: