The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Silbury Hill is a hill. Why is it a hill? That is the question. It's big, and has a flat top, so that has to be important. Is it for a view, or is it for size? If just for size, then why such a flat top?

Not necessarily to view the surrounding area (though in later times, and for reasons of defence, that was likely).

But if we’re talking about its original purpose, the view from the top might not have been that important really. As I said above, what happened after completion of the structure is perhaps the interesting bit; was it reserved for special ceremonies with only an elite few allowed access, was it open to all at any time, or was it a combination of both - out of bounds to most people most of the time but opened up a few times a year for special occasions?

To that we could add, did it have something on the top to be viewed from the surrounding landscape? The fact that Silbury can be seen from so many points in the area surely points to that being its original and primary role – in other words it was constructed to be seen, not to see from. Interestingly, we could argue that Stonehenge was designed with the opposite in mind :-)

You see this is what puzzles me LS. I can't speak for all but I guess most of us believe the hill was built for a purpose, yet, if I understand him correctly, Jim Leary considers there was no blueprint and it just went along nicely having bits added as and when. I don't believe that for a second because I feel it had purpose and built where it is and to the height it is for a specific reason. I don't feel it is a 'stand-alone' structure but a major part of a much larger configeration in the landscape.

So often megalthic monuments and more precisely in this case mounds barrows atc started off as a deposition maybe with later depositions and activity and then maybe a small mound that was added to , often of different material from the earlier one .The fianl monumnet and what it covered (sometimes nothing ) could be built on various time scales from quite quickly to generations ,it is unlikely the final monument was envisaged by the origiabnl depositers /snall mound builders . That could be the case at Silbury .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
9th September 2012ce
13:45

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Room for a view (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: