The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Room for a view
66 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
The hidden aspect is as likely to have been important , so often barrows , rock art , stone circles appear to be sited not on but just away from the greatest viewshed as if the it's the view from rather than to that counts .

Jeeze... the reason for that is hard to get your head around (the round barrows on the Ridgeway by the Sanctuary do that - being slightly below the summit). But I still don’t get it. In death wouldn’t the deceased want the best possible view he or she could get? I’ve heard it suggested that by positioning barrows (for example) slightly below the summit there’s somehow a stronger visual statement made but I really can’t see how that would work.

I've noticed it at many sites sometimes no more than 50 m away from the really expansive view but the monument gets sited with something lesser . Could be territorial . The best view is usually from the top but rarely are the monuments there .David Field has noted that the distibution of barrows in Wessex is skewed towards the higher contours mainly beause those on the downs were not affected by medieval ploughing , whereas in some of the gravel areas i.e. Raunds the original majority lowland valley distribution survived .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
2nd September 2012ce
22:53

In reply to:

Re: Room for a view (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: