The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lodge Park Forum Start a topic | Search
Lodge Park
Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow
84 messages
Select a forum:
If you go to Salmondsbury, this may (or may not) help.

I'm behind with my fieldnotes generally, but I walked up to Wyck Beacon barrow (via Little Rissington - nice church and an unexpected RAF cemetery) and then back down to the village via Wyck Rissington (another nice church, where Gustav Holst used to be the organist).

From Wyck Rissington village green the Oxfordshire Way/Diamond Way leads straight to the fort across the Nature Reserve. I missed an unofficial looking arrow "footpath" sign and went a bit wrong between the village and the reserve. There's a "Mound" shown on the map, but it appears to have been ploughed away unless I was in the woring place. The fort ramparts are much reduced by ploughing, but can be seen best along the north side. There are various permissive paths around and inside the fort, so don't be constrained by footpaths on the map - look out for info boards.

The western side of the fort is under the village, but you can see the southern rampart along the perimeter of the village cemetery.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
22nd August 2012ce
19:07

In reply to:

Re: Lodge Park Long Barrow (tjj)

Messages in this topic: