The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland - my view
20 messages
Select a forum:
'For every habited house we saw there were perhaps 2 or 3 ruined buildings. '

Social history for all to see . You will no doubt have noticed that the 'ruins' were the older, often more aesthetically appealing houses, usually only a few yards from a relatively modern, box like, carbuncle. Apparently at a stage many years ago, generous grants were available to help residents build new houses. Whilst very nice, solid buildings, the older houses were freezing and lacked many modern amenities like insulation,any form of heating other than fires, good glazing, indoor toilets, hot water or even baths. The ever practical locals voted with their feet and plumped for modern amenities and comfort in the vast majority of cases. I am led to believe there was some kind of tax break to do with the old building staying standing, or with the number of remaining walls, but never really explored it.

Many of the rusting wrecks are donor vehicles for spares for the family car. However, there is a marked shortage of space to 'dump' both car wrecks and building rubble, which is why many wrecks and buildings are just left.

As a kid holidaying with relatives up there in the summer it was common for us to club together to buy a knackered old Mini, or Moggy Minor that had failed its MOT for a ridiculously low sum. We would then thrash it along the tracks or often the beaches until it gave up the ghost. The price of transporting wrecks on the ferry to the mainland was prohibitive, so they were often left on the beach for the tide to whisk away or pushed over cliffs. ( This was the less 'green' 70s I hasten to add ) All sorts of junk went over. I still shed a tear for the sit up and beg Ford Pop we disposed of in this way. Don't even get me started on the post-war BSA M20 that suffered the same fate just 2 days before I heard of it's existence and availability!!!

The harsh landscape and lifestyle gave the islanders a much harder and more pragmatic approach to their environment than we can appreciate today.

Reply | with quote
SCATHAN
Posted by SCATHAN
29th June 2012ce
18:33

Messages in this topic: