The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Fernacre Forum Start a topic | Search
Fernacre
Re: Louden and Fernacre stone circles query
9 messages
Select a forum:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
Hi Roy

I am not exactly sure about how far along the track from Middlemoor to Fernacre you can drive legally but it is fine to walk. Loudon is a big dissapointment, in fact I was not even sure if I had found it, there is so little to see. Fernacre on the otherhand is a fine circle and it is worth the climb up onto Roughtor to look down onto it.
As Ocifant says, it is possible to walk over the moor from Roughtor carpark to Fernacre....you might even find the Loudon Long Cairn.....

Mr H

Thanks Mark. I've decided to walk the track and enjoy the scenery along the way and not take a chance on it and spoil the day, mainly because of the low suspension on my car! I'm as interested in Louden (what's left of it anyway) as I am in Fernacre, because by what I have seen its triangular stone is still standing, well leaning over anyway, and to wait until the summer (ha) will only mean longer grass hiding the rest even further. The Roughtor walk sounds good as well and I may just do the looking down onto the Fernacre scenario later with my camera and zoom lense at hand.
Cheers, Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
3rd May 2012ce
19:21

Messages in this topic: