The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lincolnshire and Humberside Forum Start a topic | Search
Lincolnshire and Humberside
Re: immingham blue stone
23 messages
Select a forum:
My grandmother lived at 7 Bluestone Lane from the 1930s to the 1990s and my mother from when she was born in 1930s to marrying my dad in the late 1960s. I spent every summer of my childhood there. The stone is a glacial erratic and no-one knew for sure where it came from. It was originally further up Bluestone Lane, about half way up on the right hand side going towards the church. In this location it was laid on its side and kids used to play on it, sliding down it. It was a well known meeting place in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. It may have been taken from a field at the top of the Lane and placed there. There is a very old church, St Andrews dating from the 13th Century, at the top of Bluestone Lane, there may be some connection between the stone and the church (might have been a standing stone originally on the site of the church?) but my mum doesn’t know. If so, the local memory of this has been lost. When the Bluestone pub was built in 1961 it was moved to the corner of Habrough Road and Bluestone Lane and set on a plinth in its current upright position. The locals did not want it to be moved and there was a belief that moving it would bring bad luck, but as far as my mum can remember nothing bad happened after it was moved. Bluestone Lane has always been called that, even before any houses were built there and it was just a lane through the fields leading to the church (the first houses, including no.7, were built in the 1920s) and the bluestone has always been there, hence the name of the Lane. Don’t worry, the stone is where it belongs and is quite happy.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Lizzyp1972
2nd June 2019ce
13:46

In reply to:

immingham blue stone (darkman)

1 reply:

Re: immingham blue stone (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: