The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Nine Stones of Altarnun Forum Start a topic | Search
Nine Stones of Altarnun
Nine Stones Altarnun
2 messages
Select a forum:
Although only about 3 miles from where I live as the crow flies I visited the Nine Stones Altarnun stone circle for the first time yesterday. Fieldnotes and pix to follow (if I ever learn how to add them) but a brief rundown. As the weather had been so poor overnight and rainy and windy in the morning I thought I would just walk to the top of Ridge Hill, have a look at the cairn on the east of the hill then return another day to walk to the circle down on East Moor. I wanted to shoot a video of the circle and area but high wind being the death of a video I was going to leave it at that for the day.
However, the wind dropped off somewhat and out came the sun so once up on Ridge and the stones in sight between us and Fox Tor I just had to visit. A real charmer of a circle completly lost in time in a windswept and often boggy Bodmin Moor landscape. I've not enjoyed a visit to a stone circle so much for a long time so would thoroughly recommend a visit. I never met a soul either human or animal but is an experience best shared with a companion. Mine was with me, my faithful Border Collie Chief.
I'll be returning the moment it warms up a little and wind free because although I took lots of vid footage it comes with windrush...Grrrrrr!!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
5th March 2012ce
09:42

Messages in this topic: