The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Midsummer Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Midsummer Hill
Re: Scrub clearance on Scheduled monuments
16 messages
Select a forum:
Rebsie wrote:
I'm the author of the Sulis Manoeuvre blog linked above.

It's true to say that a difficult dilemma is raised by the issue of trees on ancient monuments, and that there probably isn't any ideal solution. Midsummer Hill is managed as a wildlife reserve as well as an ancient monument and sometimes there will be conflicts of interest between those different objectives.

I'm stuck in this conflict of interests myself - on the one hand I'm an ancient sites enthusiast and fully support the need to protect the hillfort. I accept that its needs should take priority over those of the wildlife, since the wildlife is replaceable and the fort isn't. On the other hand I am a tree-hugging off-with-the-faeries woolly pagan type and those woods are one of my personal "special" places. So I admit that the reason I find the tree clearance upsetting is because of my attachment to those woods and I can't be entirely objective.

But - my concerns are that the work is being carried out with spectacular lack of sensitivity. The pictures taken by Credashill show some of the damage done by use of heavy equipment on the site, with areas of the fort churned up and rutted with tyre-tracks. Secondly, the area of clearance seems to have gone way outside the bounds of what had been planned, and many of the trees that have been felled were nowhere near the ramparts. While I'm reluctantly prepared to accept that the long-term future of the hillfort may be best served by not having trees on it, I'm alarmed that "conservation" involves chuntering over the site in a big tractor and lighting fires.

All around the Cotswolds where I live there are long barrows with dense clumps of trees on them. And while you wince at the thought of the archaeological damage the trees are doing to the barrow, you're aware that if they weren't there some Victorian farmer would probably have ploughed it flat!

It is indeed a difficult and fraught subject.

And to think that most of it could have been avoided as well I suspect if control of the growth was dealt with long ago. I don't know Midsummer Hill personally but no doubt this is repeated countrywide. It is shameful to see what happens to barrows and again something that could have been so easily avoided with more thought.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
28th February 2012ce
01:08

Messages in this topic: