The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
353 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:

At the big sites like Stonehenge and Avebury, and Silbury for that matter, it would help if the media actually were consistent with what people are seen doing. Because when people climb there, they really properly climb. It's not really the same as parking your arse on a sarsen while you eat your sandwiches. Or is it? Surely that's not so bad, it is a stone after all. Is this whole thing partly to do with wanting less oikish behaviour so Civilised Visitors can enjoy the sites in peace? Is it the climbing aspect. What are people's feelings on sitting I wonder.

I have a confession to make then .. as it was me that mentioned Devil's Den (inadvisedly as it turned out). I found a photo in my Facebook albums of me perched on one of the base stones at Devil's Den (for the shot). In general I don't think I would sit on, say for instance, the Barber's Stone at Avebury to eat lunch but yes I probably would sit on the sarsens at Fyfield Down.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
25th February 2012ce
18:02

In reply to:

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: