The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
CADW sites update
4 messages
Select a forum:
In the latest issue of the CADW magazine there are two small articles which may be of interest.

The first concerns excavations which took place in September at the Pillar of Eliseg (Denbighshire). The article states that a team of archaeologists have re-opened a trench made in 2010 to reveal a likely grave and evidence of cremation burials. A team hopes to return in 2012 for further investigations.

The second article concerns two sites close to where I live – Tinkinswood and St Lythans (South Glamorgan). Back in September members of the British Trust of Conservation worked to clear away vegetation that was encroaching Tinkinswood. This has once again made it easy for visitors to view the revetment wall around the burial chamber. A fence has also been put up around ‘the quarry’ (which was perhaps the source of the massive capstone) making it accessible to the public. Two possible chambers are also being investigated for the first time.

A community dig took place at St Lythans between 22.10.11 and 6.11.11 (local volunteers.). Apparently this site has never been scientifically investigated before.

The results of these digs are due to appear in a future edition of the CADW magazine.
I will of course up date as soon as I know anything.

I now plan to re-visit these two sites over the Christmas / New Year period to have a look at the work carried out. I will be taking my niece who is in Oxford studying history with me as she has never visited a prehistoric site before!!

Reply | with quote
Posted by CARL
7th December 2011ce
08:06

2 replies:

Re: CADW sites update (ocifant)
Re: CADW sites update (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: