The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
47 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
You're lucky. I first saw it in 2000 and it was pretty dire by then.

Mind you, I'm lucky to have seen Avebury as it is. I suspect it will never be as unspoilt as it is at present.

When I first came to England from the Channel Islands in 1961 it was quite normal to walk freely amongst the stones even though it was overseen by one or two security guards (of a type). Security wasn't taken too seriously at the time although there was some sort of device that alerted the local nick if you entered the site. We all knew we had about 10/15 minutes before they came and were walking down the road whistling to ourselves by then!! They all thought it was a laugh themselves. In all the times I visited I never once witnessed any trouble-makers or damaged caused.

Yes I think we should all take advantage of Avebury while we can and be grateful that we can still walk around it at will. It will never be the same again if that priveledge is ever removed.

Now that the fences are going at Stonehenge they'll need some high tech security at night - or some lighting! ;)

I wasn't thinking people would ever be stopped from walking around Avebury, more that the environment will deteriorate incrementally year by year due to planning decisions. Imagine, if the NT opened a fast food joint right in the centre!

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
4th December 2011ce
15:09

In reply to:

Re: So.... (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: So.... (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: