The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge road closure approved
36 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
I actually think there's the danger it'll be more like the reverse. Because a lot of the money-spinning at stonehenge is from people on The Tour on their big coaches en route to Salisbury or Bath or wherever. If it turns out they have to walk miles, maybe it's them who won't want to stop?

I thought the plan was to have shuttle buses from the new visitor centre?

Absolutely. So the Cash cow will be preserved.

Except that they won't be shuttle buses they'll be Noddy Trains ("like at the Eden project and Dover Castle").

Maybe I'm peculiar but I don't like those. Stonehenge deserves a bit less of the Blackpoolery after all these decades of being dragged down by the third world bazaar they call a visitors' centre. Where's the Conscience in British Heritage Management eh?

No doubt their defence would be they're cheaper to run than shuttle buses but frankly if they're taking £10,000,000 plus in gate money every year a fleet of six or eight decent looking buses is hardly unaffordable.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
2nd November 2011ce
13:00

Messages in this topic: