The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Manton Down Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Manton Down
Re: manton down longbarrow found!!!!!
39 messages
Select a forum:
Sounder wrote:
Agggggh now i've done a bit more reading up on the longbarrow as to where i got the original map reference from i did a bit of searching online and found the following links:

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogu[...]on/pdf/disk8/fwp74/r4edfyf.pdf

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogu[...]ion/pdf/disk8/fwp66/fwp66b.pdf

These refer to the barrow and on reading these it mentions the confusion on the position of the barrow.

Also, reading these and the posts on the MA about the barrow do you think what you found is the original site of the barrow (fingers crossed it is as that would be excellent!) or where the stones of the chamber + facade had been moved to?

Its definitely the original site! the confusion lies in the fact that in the 50's the mound behind the stones [chamber] was ploughed and the kerb moved[to the side of the chamber along old boundary] , not the chambers, they are huge stones, and they didn't move them and put them somewhere else in the same position [they are in the same position as the old drawing], they would be dumped at the side of the field, when you're there you can see how they fell to the side, i wish we had put something in the picture so you can see the size of them, there are no other big stones close by . Trust me!!! it,s them in the right place, part of the way i found them was by their position in the land , the symmetry of the land only lets it be there, and a guy on pastscape called barker who says he saw the kerbstones been bulldozed [so he knows the site], says they have the number wrong and it's 14787135, exactly where they are.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
26th June 2011ce
16:22

Messages in this topic: