The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rotherwas Ribbon Forum Start a topic | Search
Rotherwas Ribbon
Re: Megalithic contributions to the dictionary
12 messages
Select a forum:
As I recall, EH said it would take a long time to decide how far it went and what it was and hence to decide whether to schedule it. They had a page up saying exactly that, which has now disappeared so I suspect they have dropped it.

In truth it was schedulable straight away on what was known, surely? But that of course would have stopped the road. Such things happen I suppose, every road can't be stopped for every discovery. But the bitter, bitter thing is that it is suspected by some people that the road wasn't needed other than as part of a plan to build hundreds of executive homes and make someone rich - whereas in the event, that plan collapsed, no-one got rich, an un-needed road got built and a unique monument got trashed....

For irony lovers, EH is congratulating itself on turfing over the road that bisects the Stonehenge Avenue at the same time as not stopping the bisecting of the Rotherwas Ribbon. Both results can't be right can they!

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
23rd March 2011ce
11:20

Messages in this topic: