The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Returned From Callanish
14 messages
Select a forum:
Hey hey!

Well, I'm back from the wild and wooly Hebrides. I think it hardly needs to be said that it was an incredible journey.

But I'll babble on anyway.

Me and a pal drove the 12 hour stretch from London to Ullapool and once we got past Carlisle, the traffic disappeared, after that it was a quick trip really.

Stayed the night in Ullapool under a thick blanket of stars so clear it broke the heart. We were camping and the tent was surrounded by hundreds of big snails. Wierd. Unfortunately it chucked it down in the early hours and we were baptised with typical Scottish rain.

Got the ferry over to Stornoway and zipped it straight to Callanish. I've read about the place and have seen loads of photos of the place so I kind of new what to expect, but when I first walked up the hill and the stones came into view, it was overpowering. The heart lept to the throat.

Man, the journey to get there was the whole part of the package. I felt like a real pilgrim. It was my sort of Hajj I guess.

Spent hours at Callanish and if anyone's been there within this year, have you noticed a sheepdog that hangs out there begging to be played with? It had this crazy stick that he kept wanting to fetch. Had me in stitches. If anyone goes up there and sees this dog, get him away from the stick and shout "RABBITS" at him. His reaction will is beyond bemusing.

Through the course of the trip, we caught the other circles near Callanish, and drove all around Harris. The Hebrides are like a dream. The scenery surreal and it really does feel like you are on the edge of the world, and as Cope says, on top of the European civilisation.

Managed to climb a 500 metre summit, and the view from the top was, well, downright religious I'd say.

Sheesh folks, I'm beside myself still with this trip. I feel I've come full-circle in my neolithic travels, and although they are far from over, the journey to Callanish gives me a feeling of some kind of accomplishment I guess.

Looked out for any fellow HHer's, but just came across some Germans. Ah well.

So folks, that's it in a nutshell. If you've read this far, thanks. Needless to say I'll be going up there again. It is beyond words.

Take care,

Scott

Reply | with quote
Posted by Scott7
3rd September 2002ce
12:17

1 reply:

Re: Returned From Callanish (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: