The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: What no Stonehenge?
53 messages
Select a forum:
Lost track of how many times I’ve been but probably, like a few others here, can remember walking among the stones with my parents, and then doing the same as a parent myself. Last time (nearly three years ago) was one of the best visits ever.

Took a coach tour (only eleven quid all the way from Essex!) that included a couple of hours at Old Sarum, Stonehenge and the rest of the time in Avebury (where Moss and I managed to meet up :-) Think it was being more relaxed about not having to drive, or get to somewhere else under my own steam afterwards, but I saw the place in a different light. Sat on the grass (between the underpass and the Monument) and just took it in in a way I hadn’t done before. After a few minutes the sound from the road and the ever-changing parade of people fade away a bit and you’re just left with ‘it’ and your thoughts.

People often say Stonehenge is smaller than they imagined but it is and it isn’t. Structurally it’s not that massive but its presence towers over you the longer you let it. If it seems that way to us now, to the ancients it must have seemed truly monumental, magical and awe-inspiring.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
13th February 2011ce
12:23

In reply to:

What no Stonehenge? (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: