The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Browne's Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Browne's Hill
Re: Browne's Hill dolmen capstone not raised?
13 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
........... Would it have been possible from an engineering point of view?

Gladders, me old mucker,

As a design engineer, viewing it from a purely engineering point of view, yes it would be possible. Obviously, without them getting stress engineers in to do the calculations necessary, it would be a case of trial and error at first. Either that, or over-engineer it to make it failsafe, which is very possible.

However, from a practical point of view, I have to wonder how often the circumstances would arise to make anyone experienced in it, i.e. getting it right the next time after a failed attempt, when there probably wouldn't be that many opportunities to attempt it.

It's a good theory that might have worked in the past. It'd be good if archaeology could prove it had been done. Why doubt that it could be achieved, after all you just have to look at the trilithons at Stonehenge to realize what massive engineering problems they could overcome.

All the best,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
9th February 2011ce
21:52

Messages in this topic: