The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Browne's Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Browne's Hill
Re: Browne's Hill dolmen capstone not raised?
13 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
TheStandingStone wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Just wondering what people think about the suggestion that truly massive capstones - such as that at Browne's Hill - may have been 'dug out' of the earth in situ instead of being raised upon orthostats by our crafty ancient friends...

Could a wooden 'A' frame, for arguments sake - have been able to lift such a weight? Would it have been possible from an engineering point of view?

I suppose it would be easier to dig around a 150 ton capstone rather than try to move it far. These people had plenty of experience with working with heavy stone so I guess they were more than capable of constructing something to support the stone while they got the other stones in place.

The Labby Rock in Sligo is another portal tomb where the stone may have been in situ and worked around.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1037/carrickglass.html

I don't know if they would need something to support the capstone would they? If you came in from one 'corner' at a time and installed the upright then that corner is taken care of and you move on to the next. That's of course if the capstone was to remain in exactly the same position.

True...but with such a weight you would want to be sure that it wouldn't move. A corner at a time is an interesting idea.

Reply | with quote
TheStandingStone
Posted by TheStandingStone
9th February 2011ce
11:22

Messages in this topic: