The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Travelling between Gill's Bay and Ullapool
12 messages
Select a forum:
Ahh yeah, well it will take some time - and there's no avoiding that really, sorry to say :-S The distances round these parts are one thing, but most of the area you want to travel round is quite slow roads, single track, or two way but slow...

OK the various options...

Take the north route round the coast. Living where I do I have never had the need to drive from Wick / Thurso way to Ullapool, but the road from not far out of Thurso all the way round to Ullapool is pretty tiring and slow going. The bit round Loch Eriboll always seems to me to take an age to drive and can be quite tedious if you are rushing and cant just take your time and enjoy the view (or rain ;-) ). There are some benefits - a stop at Smoo Cave is worth it, and Balnakeil Bay is amazing tiny detour (and there's good chocolate to be had at the craft village. I can't help too much with the ancient stuff, as really we're still to search our way round those parts (to give you an idea a day trip to that North West corner for us even, living about 45mins north of Inverness, is a huge long day trip).

You could take the north coast road to Tongue and drop down through Altnaharra to Lairg (but gosh thats a long slow road too), then take the Strath Oykel road over to Ledmore Junction and then south to Ullapool - at this point the road is a bit faster and you can pick up time. I know it will take you 1 1/2 hours from Lairg to Ullapool at minimum - I can't tell you how long from the ferry to Lairg though.

You could though go down the A9 to The Mound (just south of Golspie) and go across to Lairg that way, then take the same route to Ledmore Junction and then Ullapool. I recon it would take you 1 1/2 hours to The Mound-ish (as long as you don't get caught with caravans / motorhomes / lorries) and then 2 hrs plus to Ullapool.

This is all guessing really, as I've not had to do these exact routes...

If you went all the mainest of main routes (as main as there is) - straight down the A9, round via Dingwall then back up the A835 then I think you’re looking at 3 1/2 prob' more like 4hrs without any stopping, just foot down.

Reply | with quote
summerlands
Posted by summerlands
5th February 2011ce
22:42

Messages in this topic: