The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Line of sight calculator
135 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Or the height of the observer (I can see Silbury from a point near the Obelisk but my daughter cant!)...

Yup, position and height are critical. Click on the pic here - http://silbury-hill.blogspot.c[...]rchive.html#315953661864961496 (click again to enlarge). Silbury can just be seen on the skyline between the stone on the left and the stone on the right. If Silbury were originally higher it would have been more easily seen from the Obelisk. If Waden Hill was slightly higher however (now somewhat reduced due to ploughing?) or wooded in the Neolithic, Silbury wouldn’t have been visible from that point... suggesting there was no grand design to link Silbury and the Henge visually?

I see no reason personally why there would have been a need for the two to be connected in a direct visual sense but it would be from the top of the Great Circles bank wouldn't it and that is part of the setup?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th December 2010ce
09:29

In reply to:

Re: Line of sight calculator (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: