The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Jug's Grave Forum Start a topic | Search
Jug's Grave
Re: Name and folklore
8 messages
Select a forum:
scubi63 wrote:
I walked around this area with Chance a couple of years or so ago and again last summer. On the second occasion there was a traveller camped there who was very jumpy at me wandering around and followed us about as I showed my sons the ‘stone circle’ theory and yes the place was a bit of a mess.

I seem to remember reading about the name of this place somewhere, I will see if I can dig anything up. As always, Rhiannon is probably your best bet for this though (no pressure Rh).

There is a system of walls and what look like hut circles (but could be enclosures) in the wood that I think it was suggested by Guy and Chance that they could be of the IA period but there is no formal proof.

It is all interesting and certainly worth a visit if not only because the wood was just full of deer.

:o)

Good to know my memory of the site's inhabitant was accurate, even if he probably has nothing to do with the name. I seem to recall on my last visit that I was unsure if I had found it, it looked more like a ruined building than a cairn, but looking at other people's pictures it seems that I did get the right spot after all. The wood itself is amazing and I'm really looking forward to going back sometime later this month.

Reply | with quote
Posted by swallowhead
11th October 2010ce
17:15

In reply to:

Re: Name and folklore (scubi63)

1 reply:

Re: Name and folklore (scubi63)

Messages in this topic: