The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Cheesewring Forum Start a topic | Search
The Cheesewring
Re: cheesewring
16 messages
Select a forum:
goffik wrote:
Haha! It may be French, in places, but not necessarily in the right order! ;)

The grooves, IMHO, are just where the water has naturally flowed out of the bowl - due to gravity/mad winds/stuff I know nothing about - over gawd knows how many years...

Without the grooves, I wonder now if the "stone in a vortex" idea is what may have caused the bigger holes at my beloved Rubha Charnain in Harris (can't find the link right now cos I'm on my phone but you can find it using the search facility)

I have to say, I'm 99% sure the bowls/grooves in your pics are natural. And all the more beautiful for being so! :)

G x

Yeah once there is a little groove the movement of te water in the groove will back up on itself and make the hole much deeper- same principle as the plunge pool at the bottom of a waterfall. As its a natural structure the water will have had more than enough time to make very deep holes. Hell, The water running out of my broken drainpipe has had more than enough time to ruin my bloomin' patio (two years!)
We shouldn't underestimate the power of running water over time.

Reply | with quote
faerygirl
Posted by faerygirl
3rd September 2010ce
12:11

In reply to:

Re: cheesewring (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: cheesewring (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: