The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Cheesewring Forum Start a topic | Search
The Cheesewring
Re: cheesewring
16 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Yes this is what I was looking at and filmed yesterday on Bodmin Moor near the Cheesewring but found the same photo already in the archives.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/298/cheesewring.html

From its appearance, and this is only an educated guess as I have not witnessed this in the rain, it appeared that water running off the top stone could run into the 'bowl' on the right-hand side of the stone beneath it. Next to it as you will see is another bowl shaped dugout and between the two a shallow overflow groove had been cut out to allow water to run from one to the other. The one on the left then had a deep groove cut as you can see to the front that presumably was used to run water off into a container/bowl of sorts.
The top stone had a series of what may have been cup marks which one could almost be seen as a pattern. I say 'what may have been' as they were all pretty much identical to each other so I haven't ruled out modern-day workings. How about you other Cornish stoneheads have you seen this or discussed it before?

Sorry forgot to say to scroll down when you open the link and it's the first photograph on the left. The two next to it are of the same formation of stones.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
2nd September 2010ce
11:14

In reply to:

cheesewring (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: cheesewring (goffik)

Messages in this topic: