The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
wychburyman wrote:
Hello neighbours

Whilst in Cornwall a few weeks ago I spent a day chasing stones, of which Trevethy was one of the highlights.

I perchanced upon an interesting gentleman by the name of Dave Cane (or Kane). A quirky sort of fellow who had apparently spent 20 years studying what he saw was various alignments of the Quoit. He didn't accept it was a burial chamber and felt it was for various astronomical predictions. We must have chatted away for an hour or more.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of him and his theories and what they think of them.

Thanks

Never met David Cane but when I visited Trevethy Quoit last week I met a chap called Clifford Kempthorne - an older local man who was well into matriarchal and pagan ideas.

His theory (or preferred interpretation maybe) was that it served as a communal burial chamber which would be accessed on a yearly basis to inter the ashes of the local dead (cremated after a sky burial) with men having the smaller, rear, chamber and women the larger forward chamber, "cos they were in charge in those days," accessed through the cut stone. He thought there may have been a, "slider," against the rear.

Reply | with quote
fauny fergus
Posted by fauny fergus
28th July 2010ce
19:57

In reply to:

Trevethy Quoit (wychburyman)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Megalithics)

Messages in this topic: