The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stronach Wood Forum Start a topic | Search
Stronach Wood
Re: Bird carvings at Brodick
7 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Howburn Digger, you sound really excited about your bird carvings at Brodick, and that's really cool.

But I can't really see what you mean, maybe I can see your heron but not really the raven or the curlew. You could post a photo that you've traced over where you see the figures?

MAybe some rock art types could comment on how they might have been carved / formed, I don't know if that's possible from a photo? I don't know nuffin about it.

I like your Andy Goldsworthy pine needles!

.I don't think it's fair to comment on pics of rock art when they response is negative , often pics are crap and the site is ultimately genuine ,sometimes the pics look good and on inspection it's not genuine (this is much more uncommon ). In this case ,fwiw , the pics are fine , I see what looks like a mixture of natural and possibly man made marks without any species of bird being apparent . If they are engravings depicting birds they are unlikely to be contemporary with the other recorded markings . The only representational markings of animals are either early ,for Britain ,i.e. Cresswell (approx 11,000 BC ) or later than the cup and ring tradition i.e. Eggerness . deer and horses are the usual suspects , can't think of any birds off hand . Sorry for the negativity .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
16th July 2010ce
20:08

In reply to:

Bird carvings at Brodick (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: Bird carvings at Brodick (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: