The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ecclesall Woods Forum Start a topic | Search
Ecclesall Woods
Re: Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?
32 messages
Select a forum:
Hi All

I know I am very late to all this, found you through doing some research.

Just to clarify that there is no cloak & dagger as such to the location of the stone that John found, it is just in a sensative area which will actually help protect the stone. The well known one does suffer from damage of people walking over it & not knowing what it is so at least the new one is safe from this. There is also another one that has been found, it has "cup marks" on it and again its in a sensative area, I am unsure if it is an old stone but an expert has looked at it. I have photos of them both & can post them if people want. There have been rumers of another stone but the people who have supposedly found it wont tell so I am not sure if it exists. I realise this info is probably not what people want to hear but at least the stones are protected from damage. I know nothing about the portable stone that has been discussed, I may need to do some digging (not literaly)There are some brillaint LIDAR plans of the woods that show the settlement, I'm not sure if they can be posted. I think it was Sheffield Uni who did the work. Again I will see what I can do. Hope this clears up a few bits.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Scarysas
1st August 2014ce
12:23

In reply to:

Re: Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ? (megadread)

Messages in this topic: