The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: sounds interesting
68 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry I keep referring to Overton Hill when I mean Waden Hill .Waden is the biggest component in the landscape ,the Sanctuary is tiny in comaprison .If the Sanctuary is a hand then in scale Overton Hill would be a temple full of goddesses .
The two inner circles of the henge could provide a very squint pair of eyes and the obelisk a fine nose . Apart from that ,where are the other bits that make up a female figure ? like legs and feet .One way out it to suggest it is based on a figurine , they often have extremities missing but they do tend to have breasts which are also missing and very important .[/quote]

Oops, that last post that wasn't went off to soon - apologies.

I've been following this thread from The Jersey Minx Tiompan and she has never once mentioned Waden Hill in connection with the earth figure she speaks of in the book A Lady in Waiting, so presumably it is not seen as part of the figure by the author. I had a look at the website and if you scroll down on the opening page, right down at the bottom is a map showing the area in question... http://aveburyaladyinwaiting.c[...]the-avebury-complex/4538620374
I have to say that on first appearance I can indeed see a figure there and the component parts that the Minx mentions are indeed where body parts of a figure would be (well the upper torso anyway). If it is indeed a figure (symbolic) on the ground built to transport the souls of the dead into their Afterlife then it wouldn't need legs would it. What would they achieve anyway as the 'new life' would presumably emerge from the Swallowhead Springs so anything beneath that would not be important surely? Now to satisfy your 'need' to have a breast included you could say that the burial mound indicated toward the northern end of Waden hill on the map could be seen as a breast!! There you are, you can sleep easy tonight now! (g). But joking apart this does look interesting particularly as Silbury Hill is immediately above the Springs so presumably seen as a figure in 'child', hence the 'lady in waiting' title to the book! Looking through the website there are some nice photos as well. May well be worth a punt.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th April 2010ce
19:32

In reply to:

Re: sounds interesting (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: sounds interesting (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: