The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: sounds interesting
68 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not against the possibility of landscape figures per se but I'm not sure that at Avebury the idea of an attempt to make something that can be seen from above is viable when there are so many indications that the complex was designed for ground level effect or functionality. For instance, both avenues are pretty impressive ceremonial parading pathways, carefully laid out where they'd have maximum dramatic effect as you progressed along them I reckon. You can't have both that and an aerial picture as the explanation for the position of the avenues can you? You can only have one.

And the extant WK Avenue runs precisely along the junction of the slope of Waden and the flat land and kinks as it approaches the circle so as to provide the optimum drama at the entrance. Again, functional, aesthetic or ritual placements surely, so not a "sky picture" one as well.

Also, looking down from the Ridgeway the WK Ave looks very much like a perimeter structure, defining the whole of Waden - which as a result looks like one huge flat topped fort surrounded by standing stones and with the top 4 feet of Silbury peeping over the exact middle - a dimension to the Silbury game maybe, not noted by Mr Cope. Again, if any of that is in any way valid then the sky picture can't be (or vice versa).

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
18th April 2010ce
10:49

In reply to:

Re: sounds interesting (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: sounds interesting (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: