The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
Wales
Re: Welsh King making Stone
40 messages
Select a forum:
tjj My biological father was welsh, he named my sister Gwenhwyfar because she was so white even just after being born. Hence the name Branwen too - white raven.

moss I thought of this legend,but couldn't decide if what I remembered was from The Crystal Cave by Margaret Stewart, and so part fiction. What about the legend of Bran the Blessed, his head is buried at White Mount and if it ever leaves off its placement there, guarding our shores, Britain will fall. (Bran means raven - which gave rise to the obfuscation that Britain would fall if the ravens left the Tower of London at White Mount). That aside, the head and the stone are closely connected in celtic myth and legend.

GLADMANThe northern welsh kingdoms were founded by Cunnedda who came down from Scotland. Perhaps it's that long memory and insularity of the celts that still carries on.

cerrig It strikes me that Wales is just the last bastion of the brythonic speaking celts, and they once spread all over Britain, giving us the name Britain, in fact. The older legends probably belong to the whole country now. Perhaps what you heard was something to do with the thirteen treasures of the Islands of Britain, which in those times, were the Islands of the Pretani, or what became the Welsh. What remains of written legends about these treasures date to fairly recently, but it has the flavour of ancient things passed down into modern times. Different translations have different treasures in different manuscripts.
http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/13.html

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
16th January 2010ce
17:11

In reply to:

Re: Welsh King making Stone (cerrig)

Messages in this topic: