The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Music for Megaliths
97 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks LS :)

And thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread, or who may do so in the future.

It's a good illustration, in its own way, I suppose, of how powerful a stimulus music can be and of how improbable it is that any rituals/ceremonies around the stones would have taken place in silence. If the tool for forming the greatest possible mental impression was easily available, via voice or frame-drum, bones or stringed bow, flute, whistle or hollow horn, why, indeed, wouldn't you use it?

...of course, that doesn't mean that I've any desire to have someone banging a tune in my ear if I'm out somewhere ;)

As I also stressed in the article and particularly in the case of consideration of ancient monuments, visible context is king. Our judgement of a site's vibe, character or importance, is formed subjectively, by what we see of the object and what's in place around it; picture and frame if you want to think of it like that. I was just anxious to emphasise that there may have been a lot more going on, in each case, (if you'll excuse the use of the phrase) than meets the eye.

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
7th January 2010ce
02:18

In reply to:

Re: Music for Megaliths (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: