The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Tipperary Forum Start a topic | Search
County Tipperary
Re: Can anybody identify these stones?
7 messages
Select a forum:
TheStandingStone wrote:
I went to see the stones again on the invitation of the owner. There are no signs of packing stones and it is unclear if the second stone was ever standing. They have a rough N-S alignment and Directly to the West if the stone row at Carrigeen - I wonder of that's significant?

What puzzles me about this pair is that they are not in the archaeological inventory. Nor are they on the OS map. They are not hard to find and can be seen from the road. It crossed my mind that these may be natural but you can see in the picture that one is clearly standing. It's not particularly rocky around there either...

Any further thoughts from people with more experience than me?

It's a good flat horizon beyond the stones, which is favoured in a lot of places in Ireland ... or is that because there's lots of flat area with low, flat hills around?

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
14th November 2009ce
20:51

In reply to:

Re: Can anybody identify these stones? (TheStandingStone)

1 reply:

Re: Can anybody identify these stones? (TheStandingStone)

Messages in this topic: