The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: bluehenge and a despicable leak
49 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Well it does'nt seem to be all under wraps, MPP seems to be giving a lecture next week at Wiltshire Heritage Museum to members of the museum on the subject of the excavation, so............. presumably Bluehenge will have to be mentioned now, if it was'nt already going to be talked about anyway, methinks there is a bit of elitism going on here!

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/78923/wiltshire.html

Hi all - haven't posted here in a long time but reading this thread I think I need to put a little something in too.

I was lucky enough to be a volunteer at this year's dig from test pitting all through until the end and at no point were we told not to tell anyone about what has been found. Nothing was top secret and MPP openly showed residents around and anyone who came venturing into the private land. It was my first encounter with MPP and he was a good bloke, always willing to answer questions and actually got his hands dirty teaching us "newbies" how to trowel correctly. He isn't an elistest kind of guy, infact he was quite open to discussing new theories, not only on Stonehenge but Avebury and the links between the two. Put it this way, he wasn't into himself at all and his ego was never flaunted - he was very down to earth.

With regards to the "lecture" - let me clear this up for us. The majority of the volunteers were from the WAHNS group - Wiltshire Archaeology and History Society which are linked to the museum in Devizes. It's our AGM on that evening and MPP has kindly offered to give a talk at the end of the evening updating the volunteers who helped him dig - you could say a kind of thankyou for 3 weeks free labour! There is no elitism going on here, anyone is free to be a member of the WAHNS group.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to help.

This topic is locked
lilydee05
Posted by lilydee05
6th October 2009ce
20:24

Messages in this topic: