The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not sure what's in modern body paint, Dodge, but you haven't lived till you've seen a 15 person, half naked, body painted, pagan, acrobatic pyramid at Beltane... I'd say the British Mystery Traditions which give clues to the customs and cultures of the past would be on topic myself - Dodge.

Well Moss, Scotland has been sold as an untouched wilderness, when in fact the clearances stripped the land of trees, resulting in soil erosion and sheep farming and hundreds of thousands of people moved off the land. The climatic optimum was a period right at the start of the iron age, about three degrees warmer on average than now, so more land was farmable in the past than now. Trading went on far afield too. Still, the woad thing has been overstated I think. Glastonbury? There have been periods when concerted efforts were made to obsfucate paganism by inventing tales of more christian origin to account for place names, myth and legend. Early on, at the instigation of medieval popes, right through to Queen Victoria, who loved the charm of country ways, and loved observing them, was especially guilty of inventing stories to account for them in a more christian viewpoint so she could do so guilt free. Modern etymologies tend to be more unbiased now.

Olly, the stone in front of the stadium, is that the one in the car park? If so, thats a marker stone that shows where a healing well was before it was buried by the railways, but the stonework was moved to the park. Look at the TMA pages on Arthur's Seat, if you scroll down to the gallery, I've put an artistic/interpretive picture I did in photoshop on there asking if anyone else sees the shape of a sleeping bear. http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2319/arthurs_seat.html Thought it was just me. I see faces in two places too... but they are hard to see even with my odd brain and perspective.

I see another bear shape, like a cub, from the south side of the loch too, at times Tiompan.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
12th December 2009ce
01:06

Messages in this topic: