The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
Oooh, I love your "wee site". Browsed it a few times in the past, but didn't notice the post on the slidey stone before. With reference to the name of the park, it's called the King's Park when a King is on the throne, and the Queen's Park when a Queen is ruling. When William takes the throne it will be King Arthur's Park I guess (his middle name).

I have some images of the Edinburgh witch stone which used to be in the park, it is quite similar to the Ratho one, (not the one on your site but the one that is also gone now that you can read about on RCHAMS). Anyway. The slidey stone looks like a chunk off the old witch stone to me, but maybe I'm grasping at straws. I've a feeling I once read the witch slide stone was at the other end of the park. Your site is the only one I've seen that has someone thinking the same thing, so I assume you've seen that picture too and can see the similarity. Everything else I know is what's posted here.

As an update, I friend that read a geological book about the area said Duddingston loch used to be higher, and covered ground much further west, towards St Leonards. So the Weary Well I've posted on, the Delf Well and the Twentypenny Well would all have been underwater till quite late, so seems like they can't be all that ancient. They were listed as debateable antiquity on the TMA pages anyway, though.

I bumped the thread on the Wearie Well, Gary, and the TMA pages have a lot about that one I've organised on the folklore section now. I had stuff I wanted to add anyway. This site has been good for getting me thinking about stuff I know in a new way. Having people to bounce ideas off helps, and gets you thinking in new ways and directions which can set your research off in new directions. Every time someone here focuses me on something I manage to expand my knowledge through their contributions and from ideas they give me. If you dont have that pic of the Edinburgh stone, email me and I can send it.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
10th December 2009ce
00:20

Messages in this topic: