The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Seat Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Seat
Re: Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh: The Slidey Stone
68 messages
Select a forum:
The twentypenny well, so called, is on the banks of the loch. If you go down the steps to where you can feed the ducks, then walk along the path to your right, you come to another area for feeding, with two benches, right where the no fishing sign in the water is. That path continues all the way to hangman's rock, but in the first couple of minutes along it you come to the twentypenny well. Its a pipe coming out of the hill, going under the path, and fills a kind of concrete square butlers sink arrangement before flowing out and down into the loch. Only reason I know its name is I got one of those 1850's maps from the map library at causwayside and it was labelled on that one, but not on any others I had. I have pictures, I will add one to the delf well site as being nearby. I'm guessing its not old, the loch would have been higher not all that long ago, and it would have been underwater maybe.

Jogging dude just stopped and asked if I knew anything about that bit of the hill. Maybe he just wanted a break from jogging and it was an excuse.

I grew up in the borders. Quite a few locations, as the folks were travellers and we moved at least once a year. Tied cottages.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Branwen
8th October 2009ce
13:46

Messages in this topic: