The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White Cow Forum Start a topic | Search
White Cow
Re: Is it a white cow when you're not looking?
55 messages
Select a forum:
Branwen wrote:
There were said to have been removed by a local vicar at one point, in a sermon which said, so much for your idolatry of stones. They were back the next time someone went up there to check, however. I think Ann Ross in her book quotes someone reporting them gone, but when checked on, they were back again. Perhaps an urban myth to put people off taking them?

It does sound like a myth .There are similar "healing " stones at Killin which is , I think , in the the same parish . They might have been a bit easier to remove by the zealous minister . Oddly enough the folklore of the area,as is often the case , was relatively well recorded by local ministers like Mckenzie who wrote papers on local rock art and parishioners beliefs and Gillies who covered a lot in "In Famed Breadalbane " . Bob Bisset was the curator of the family until his death , I don't know the name of his successor but it's a biannual job of bringing out for the spring and happing up for the winter .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
7th September 2009ce
13:37

Messages in this topic: