The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White Cow Forum Start a topic | Search
White Cow
Re: Is it a white cow when you're not looking?
55 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks very much for that.

Quartz is a funny one. I've always felt drawn to it as well. Though this may just be the precious white shine of it, in comparison to the grey alternatives. The trouble with it, where we're concerned, is, if I may borrow one of Tiompan's phrases (;)), that it's so ubiquitous it would be hard to prove that its presence at monuments was always intentional, except if it could be proved, for example, to have come from some distance away.

I suspect that it may have meant different things in different areas. You coiuld make a good case for universal meaning where a type of architecture is concerned, (although even then, the variation in age and morphology between, say, types of stone circles would seem to put a stop to that run) but not a single type of stone.

Having said that, there has been research (and counter argument) into our reactions and, I think, the 'meanings' we may universally ascribe to different basic colours. I'd have to check this last sentence 'cos I'm working from memory.

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
3rd September 2009ce
14:46

Messages in this topic: