The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Doll Tor Forum Start a topic | Search
Doll Tor
Re: Doll Tor/Andle Stone Access?
11 messages
Select a forum:
fauny fergus wrote:
hey all. Just a quick question - what's the best way of getting to these two? I'm looking at my 1:25k and thinking there's a nice track which turns off The Mires and which then branches round up toward Doll Tor. Or have generations of pilgrims worn a path from the Birchover Road to the Andle Stone and thence to Doll Tor?

I know I should just get there and find my way but, hey, I'll be cycling so I'd like to plan the route with the least hilliness :-)

The accepted route is to "park" up on Birchover road, Take the Stanton in Peak turn if your heading in from Bakewell, Birchover turning from the Winster side. (The Mires)
Jump the wall, visit the Andle stone then head down the field to the left of the Andle stone through the gate if its open or make your way under the fence / over the broken wall to a gate in the lower left of the next field, chain your bike up here and walk the 30 metres down to Dol Tor on the path between the wall and the woodland.
If you leave your own shit on Birchover road the cruising scroats will take it but they won't bother you at the sites themselves.
If your making a day of it return to Birchover rd, cross it, go a
little way up (50 metres) and access the other side of Stanton moor
to visit the Nine ladies.
The first part of the path you'll have to "shoulder" the bike as the
Path is made up of boulders.
For the Nine ladies you need the second path on the left, the one after
the Cork stone, just follow this path which is easily rideable
(is that a word) and you can't possibly miss it, about half a mile or so.
When you've had your fill follow the path the way you just came to head back to
birchover road, when you hit the road go left and follow the main
road (for about a minute in 21st gear) to the Druid pub which behind
you'll find Rowtor rocks and the rock art. ; )
when you've done head down hill back to the B 5056, if you came that way, Turn right, ride about half a mile and you'll have done a circular route back to the bottom of Birchover road.
Ps, no matter which route you take it's uphill to the Andle stone,
take a deep breath when leaving the B5056.
Just holla if you need any more info or someone to show you these sites and the others in the area.

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
18th July 2009ce
01:17

In reply to:

Doll Tor/Andle Stone Access? (fauny fergus)

Messages in this topic: