The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
The Avenue - Stonehenge
11 messages
Select a forum:
Today I put my laptop away and caught a bus to Devizes where I met up with PeteG. Some of you may know that Pete's knowledge about Avebury and Stonehenge is second to none and today he had very kindly offered to show me around the Stonehenge landscape (as I don't have a car).

First he took me to see the Cuckoo Stone, then the two stones at Berwick St James. On to Durrington Walls where we walked across what had once been a Neolithic settlement, the hairs started to stand up on my arms … strange sensation. Then round into Woodhenge for a bit - before a shower blew over.

I was thinking it couldn’t get any better when Pete showed me a spring by the river Avon right at the start of the Avenue to Stonehenge. I am trying to find the right word for such a place apart from the usual magical, mystical; it was both those things. Walking across the Avenue, which is still intact as a raised grassy ‘road’ the word liminal came to mind. Limen is from the Latin meaning ‘threshold’ - it was that sort of place.

The same sensation occurred walking back towards Stonehenge on the Avenue as the monument came into view without the visitors and the cars - it once again felt like walking through a time portal.

We finished the afternoon by walking the cursus where we sat for a while on the terminus 'barrow', in the warm breeze, watching a buzzard soar higher and higher on an air stream.

Today I met a kind, funny and extremely knowledgeable man - someone who is happy to share his knowledge. He is also devoted to his wife and kids; when he spoke of his youngest I found myself thinking what a fortunate child. None of us is perfect, myself least of all (some of the insults flying around on another thread have been alarming to say the least).

Speaking as someone who has met the man a few times, I have no problem at all being associated with PeteG.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
13th July 2009ce
23:45

Messages in this topic: