The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Birmingham and the West Midlands Forum Start a topic | Search
Birmingham and the West Midlands
Stone? - Would Welcome Your Opinions Please....
15 messages
Select a forum:
The stone shown in the photographs was brought to my attention circa. 1989 by a local (born and bred) who, interestingly enough, only became aware of it's presence in the early 80's himself. (He claims to have suffered a number of peculiar occurences immediately after becoming aware of the place and visiting it, etc).

The 8ft tall, sandstone column stands on the edge of the grounds of a 130 year old (sandstone built) church.

Over the past couple to three decades, there have been a number of appeals put out in the local press, etc, regarding the origins of this stone - but no pertinent information has ever surfaced, apparently. It has been suggested that it was possibly placed there at the same time that the church was built..... and some have offered the opinion that it may well have been merely erected as a 'scratching post' for cattle(???) It doesn't show up on any OS maps or so on for the region concerned.

I must apologise for the poor quality of the images proferred, but these pics were sent to me many years ago - pre digital age - by someone... Unfortunately, for whatever reason, a vicar of the church concerned had the grounds (where the stone stands) fenced a few years ago and the site is now totally inaccessible...... otherwise, I would go and photograph it personally, hopefully in better detail, etc.

Any suggestions / opinions that you might have on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

http://westmidlandsghostclub.m[...]et_albumName=album77&id=img281

http://westmidlandsghostclub.m[...]et_albumName=album77&id=img282

Regards to all,

Enderfay

Reply | with quote
Posted by Enderfay
12th July 2009ce
13:44

Messages in this topic: