The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kirkheads Forum Start a topic | Search
Kirkheads
Re: The drum carvings
40 messages
Select a forum:
Branwen wrote:
I couldnt think of another author that has a book devoted to the analysis of symbols. Perhaps it was someone else who said chevrons were water... it'll come to me, probably at 3am in the morning, as usual.

There are a few examples of anthropologists who ask the "meaning" of non -represenational symbols that have been engraved at much the same time as the question , usually native american ,native australian or south american tribes . As might be expected thay all differ , even some of the more obvious representational examples . How anyone can suggest they know what a symbol "meant " to a consciousness 5000 years ago seems to be the height of arrogance to me . With the exception of historical heraldry and hieroglyphic "texts" it seems to be a presumption that has arisen in the past couple of centuries .
Even when you get a case that might work ,usually astronomical it will be easily refuted by another close by that will prove to be nonsense when "translated " .
Jung , Max Raphael , Brenann , Brieul ,Leroi Gourhan ???. might be source of the chevron =water .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
10th September 2009ce
16:42

In reply to:

Re: The drum carvings (Branwen)

1 reply:

Re: The drum carvings (Branwen)

Messages in this topic: