The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Visitor Centre Design
18 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Something resembling an immigration detention centre according to one councillor

Sounds like an improvement to me! ;) My god, how can they keep getting it so wrong? Years of consultations, millions of pounds, and still all they're interested in is fleecing the tourists for minimal outlay. Ah well - is it likely that anything anyone says will change it? Hmm...

sleeptowin wrote:
why dont they just build one that looks like a burial mound?
then they could go down under it, and it wouldnt stick out on the landscape, and they could make it look ace, with all stones round the entrance, and stuff like that.

That'd be much more like it! Although I'm guessing it would cost a lot more than just whacking a load of concrete together to sell shit from. They've got a captive audience though. It's a massive draw for tourists from all over the world who'd pay anything to go in after coming all that distance. They can, basically, do what they want with it and people will still pay. It's no wonder most people haven't heard of the other places in the area which, to my mind, are far nicer than the "Stonehenge Experience" - because the EH marketing machine won't promote them as much cos they're free!

I talk to so many people who have never heard of Avebury or Woodhenge, let alone the smaller sites.

I was talking, recently, to a well known musician from the US who was touring over here, and she and her crew refused to pay the entrance fee. They went away disappointed and it was a shame I'd not known before cos I would have sent her to Avebury. I wish more people would turn away because of the cost. Maybe THEN someone would make some positive changes.

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
23rd July 2009ce
06:04

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Visitor Centre Design (sleeptowin)

Messages in this topic: