The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Mitchell's Fold Forum Start a topic | Search
Mitchell's Fold
Mitchells Fold - anybody?
3 messages
Select a forum:
Myself and Mrs Wolf visited Mitchells Fold in Shropshire a few months ago, it was a great day, views were stunning.

On the information board next to the stone circle there is ‘remains of Long Barrow’ indicated if you head on back down the track to the road.

We were short on time, but I had a nose around to see if I could see anything. No joy.

However as we drove off I noticed something in a field through a hedge immediately adjacent to the road, which certainly looked kind of long barrow like (it wasn’t the best of views).

I couldn’t work how to immediately access the field without trying to squeeze through a gap in the hedge and didn’t want to upset whoever owns the land. It’s a bummer but having agreed to meet some folk (and already being late) there was no time to stop and try and investigate further.

I’m hoping we can go back soon. I can’t find anything mentioned on the Modern Antiquarian site and have looked elsewhere too. It seem’s really odd that it is marked on the info board and doesn’t seem to get a mention.

I could be being a bit dumb and have missed it on the MA site and obviously what I saw could have been something entirely different!

Anybody know the place well can shed any light?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Hexham Wolf
11th September 2008ce
16:13

Messages in this topic: