The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ridgeway (Southernmost Remains) Forum Start a topic | Search
Ridgeway (Southernmost Remains)
Re: Whither the Ridgeway?
5 messages
Select a forum:
The Greater Ridgeway can be followed all the way to Seaton near Lyme Regis. The ancient route has been metalled in places, with a particularly savage stretch, part of the A350, from East Knoyle to Shaftesbury. Nonetheless, the metalled parts tend to be mainly minor roads.

For purists, who prefer to keep to footpaths, the modern Wessex Ridgeway follows the route along its general line.

South of Overton Hill the route strikes south between Walker's Hill and Knap Hill, crosses the Vale of Pewsey to Broadbury Banks, then skirts the scarp edge towards Urchfont. It heads south west through Gore Cross and enters MOD land on Salisbury Plain. The ridgeway then heads straight through the 'ghost village' of Imber, coming out at Battlesbury Camp near Warminster. For two weeks every August the road is actually open to the public, though, just like in American Werewolf in London, you leave the road at your peril. The MOD threaten to prosecute strays!

From there the route continues south west seemingly linking hill forts and burial mounds all the way to the coast. It is blocked by various cross dykes en route. Being on the chalk uplands all the way, it would have been our ancestors' driest and safest bet as a major trade route from coast to coast.

To chart the exact route get the book 'Ancient Trackways of Wessex' by H.W. Timperley & Edith Brill. I'm hoping to walk it from Seaton to Avebury next summer. I walked the path from Avebury to Ivinghoe Beacon years ago but this new section I've just discovered for myself recently.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Thunnor
31st August 2008ce
12:19

In reply to:

Whither the Ridgeway? (megalith6)

Messages in this topic: